My Bohemian Nana would make this delicious cabbage and we all loved it! She boiled cabbage in water, I make a version using cooking liquid from corned beef for my annual St. Patrick’s Day Party. (See my “St. Patrick’s Day Special Corned Beef” under the “Recipes” category.)
- water or strained cooking liquid from corned beef (see above)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, core removed, leaves chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onions
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons good garlic salt with parsley (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder with parsley if avoiding salt)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Put water or cooking liquid from corned beef in a large pot on high heat and bring to a boil (enough so cabbage will be covered when added). When liquid is boiling, add chopped cabbage and instant minced onions and simmer for approximately 5 minutes. Cabbage should be blanched, not mushy. Drain cabbage and return to pot off the heat. Add sour cream and salt (or garlic powder) and pepper, stir until mixed and serve immediately. Adjust sour cream and seasoning as desired.